This plugin allows users to chat in real time using AJAX. Users can connect with any other users.
Use the [bp-instant-chat] shortcode to embed the front end chat on any page.
- Download and unzip the plugin
- Upload the ‹bp-instant-chat› folder to the ‹wp-content/plugins› directory.
- In the admin area, find the plugin named ‹BuddyPress Instant Chat› and click ‹activate›.
Install Through WordPress Admin
- In the WordPress admin area, go to ‹Plugins > Add New›.
- Search for ‹BuddyPress Instant Chat› and click ‹Install Now› then when prompted – click ‹Activate Plugin›.
Where can I set the dimensions of the avatar for messages?
- If you go to the WordPress admin and click the tab at the bottom of the black bar with the text ‹BuddyPress Instant Chat›.
Contributors & Developers
“BuddyPress Instant Chat” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Launch of the plugin
- Fixed bug where if a user tried to go to an existing chat, it would redirect them back to the main chat page
- Added all chats on the main chat page
- Added ability to see all messages for all chats between 2 users from admin
- Added message to the message control view explaining what can be done
- Bug fix for version 1.2 where no message is displayed if a chat doesn’t exist between the 2 users
- Added the ability to allow users to chat with their friends only which can be enabled and disabled in the settings
- Fixed bug where friends only warning would show even if the settings in both plugins was disabled.
- Add the ability to add the chat page on any page using a shortcode
- Fixed bug where the name display setting could not be updated.
- Fixed bug where certain wordpress tables couldn’t be found in some queries because of the incorrect database prefix being used.
- Added the ability to remove messages from a chat and add the messages back through message control in admin.
- Fixed bug where the name display seetings is not set correctly when installing the plugin.
- Changed the display of the messages so they display as speech bubbles.